James Clemens to host Madison Music Camps in JunePublished 7:22pm Wednesday, May 15, 2013
MADISON – This summer, youth who play a musical instrument can attend a camp designed especially for their skill and aptitude.
On June 10-14, James Clemens High School will host Madison Music Camps. The camp is a collaborative effort among numerous local band directors who will serve as camp instructors. Band directors from Madison’s secondary schools will participate.
“Madison Music Camp is a fun, exciting and educational band camp for middle school students and upcoming ninth-graders,” Stuart Tankesley said. Tankesley is assistant band director at James Clemens. “Two camps will occur simultaneously — one for beginners who have never played an instrument and an advanced instrumental camp for students with at least one year of playing experience.”
Camp hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Cost is $100 for the week and includes a camp T-shirt, pizza party and top-notch instruction. A lunch option is available for an additional cost.
The camp is open to all area students who are now in grades 5-8. Elective classes will include marching techniques, beginning piano, conducting, jazz band and secondary instruments.
The staff for Madison Music Camps includes these directors:
* Stuart Tankesley, James Clemens, camp director
* Gwen Rakoff, Liberty Middle School, beginning camp coordinator and teacher
* Keith Anderson, James Clemens, camp coordinator and advanced band conductor
* Monroe Murray, Discovery Middle School, beginning band and jazz band
Local music professionals will instruct master classes:
* Taylor Keeton, Hartselle Junior High School, flute
* Robin Cotton, Madison Band Supply, clarinet
* Jonathon Willis, St. John the Baptist Catholic School, saxophones and double reeds
* Marsha Asquith, Meridianville Middle School, French horn
* Bryan Mortimer, University of Alabama trumpet major, trumpet
* Emily Parker, Buckhorn Middle School, low brass (trombone, baritone, tuba)
* Leigh Thomas, Bob Jones High School, percussion.
James Clemens Band Parent Boosters will assist with the camp.
Registration closes May 31. Registration brochures are available at jcjetsband.com or from any middle school band director.
For additional questions, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.